Last week’s article on make-up for mature skin sparked many inquiries. Our readers wanted to know how one can actually reverse the skin’s ageing process.
- First of all, there are no miracles that any make-up artist or beautician can perform. The good news is, by adopting healthy skin care practises today, you can significantly slow down the ageing process and erase some prior damage. Aesthetician Lily Potgieter at Nothing Like It Spa advises:
“Many women in Kenya suffer from sensitive, irritated skin that is prone to premature ageing. The culprits behind these are lifestyle, wrong product choices and sun damage.”
- In short, our skin’s health lies squarely in our hands. Find the right products and habits that work for you, and use them consistently. Get professional advice about what is not working, and stop doing it.
- As far as wrong product choices, cheap quality makeup and fake imitations can get very expensive in the long run, due to harsh ingredients that gradually damage the skin. Sleeping without washing off makeup is another terrible culprit in ageing the skin.
- Remember, thirsty skin is wrinkly skin. Many women make the mistake of washing their face with bath soap (another wrong product choice) which strips it of vital oils. Others fail to use a good moisturizer and sun screen. Such harsh treatment can result in rashes, sensitive skin, age spots, hyperpigmentation and an uneven skin tone.
- Always use sun protection. That means product with an SPF every single day. Avoid staying under the sun between the hottest hours of 11:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. Do not avoid the sun altogether since it provides vital vitamin D. But do cover up well when you must be out..
- You can do this by wearing a wide brimmed hat and good quality sunglasses. Cheap shades may look chic but the only thing they do is help keep dust out of your eyes. Invest in high-quality sunglasses with UV protection. Ever wondered why most of us Kenyans often have yellowish or red eyes instead of white? Opthalmologists attribute it to sun damage. Just like your skin gets tanned to protect it from the sun, the cornea becomes darker in response to sun exposure. So cover up ladies!
- Lastly your lifestyle will show on your face. Nights on the rave, smoking, stress and poor nutrition will have you looking haggard even under makeup. So in short, the secret of youthful skin is no secret. We can all look 10 years older or 10 years younger. It just depends on how we take care of ourselves. Create good skincare habits and lead a healthy lifestyle. Cleanse, moisturize and use sun protection. This way makeup will serve as a tool to simply enhance your ageless, radiant beauty.